We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Everyone's talking about kale – and for good reason. This dark leafy green is packed with vitamins and nutrients, making it a prenatal superfood. Pair it with crunchy almonds and chewy dried figs for a sweet and satisfying salad. Absolutely starving? Add cooked shredded chicken or a cup of barley.
- 1 bunch (about 8 large leaves) curly kale
- 1 cup (4 oz/125 g) lightly toasted sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup (3 oz/90 g) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (1.5 oz/45 g) chopped dried figs
- 1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (2 oz/60 g) shaved Parmesan cheese
Rinse the kale and pat dry with paper towels or spin dry in a salad spinner. Remove and discard any tough stems and tear the leaves into bite-size pieces. Place the torn kale leaves in a serving bowl. Add the almonds, cranberries, and figs. Set aside.
To make the balsamic vinaigrette, in a bowl, combine the vinegar, shallot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
Just before serving, pour half of the vinaigrette over the kale mixture. Toss to coat. Taste and add more vinaigrette as needed. Let rest for 10 to 20 minutes, if you like, to help the leaves soften. Scatter the Parmesan over the salad and serve.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
More healthy pregnancy recipes
Get inspired by this photo gallery of 15 healthy recipes for pregnancy. Packed with nutrients, these recipes boast benefits for you and your baby – and they're easy enough to make on a weeknight.