We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Your baby can try raisins as soon as he's ready for finger food – usually between 8 and 9 months. (You can tell he's ready when he tries to grab the spoon you're using to feed him or reaches for the food on your plate.)
In 2010, the American Academy of Pediatrics removed raisins from their list of choking hazards because they couldn't find any reported cases of children choking on raisins. You can also offer dried cranberries, blueberries, and currants.
It's still a good idea to make sure they're safe to eat: Break up clumps so he can pick up and eat the raisins one at a time, and cut larger kinds of dried fruit (such as dates, prunes, apricots, and cherries) into raisin-size pieces.
And as with any food, keep an eye on your child whenever he's eating to help prevent choking. Make sure your child sits down to eat, and don't let him eat in the car while you're driving.
Also, protect your child's teeth from cavities. Dried fruit is so chewy and sugary, it tends to stick to the teeth, giving bacteria something to thrive on. The built-up bacteria produce acids that, over time, destroy tooth enamel and cause tooth decay. If possible, it's good to brush your child's teeth after he eats raisins.